A child injury case may be brought when an individual under the age of 18 is injured through no fault of their own. Child dog bite cases are especially heartbreaking as severe injuries often occur.
If your child was the victim of a dog attack, a guardian must be appointed by the District Court to pursue the claim on the child’s behalf. The court-appointed representative is usually a parent or immediate family member. Dog bite lawyer Flora Templeton Stuart will assist with this court appointment for no additional charge.
By law, any recovery your child receives for his/her dog bite injury must be held in trust until he/she is 18 years of age. Our law firm provides clients the option of establishing a trust fund, annuity or college fund to protect the money for future use by your child. Creating a trust account has many advantages including reducing tax liability and preserving your child’s Medicaid eligibility.
5 things to do after a dog bite
- After a dog bite attack, the most important thing to do is seek medical treatment immediately, no matter how minor you think the injury is. Proper medical treatment is imperative for a complete recovery and will help reduce the risk of contracting an infection from the dog bite.
- Avoiding disease, reducing scarring, and minimizing damage are important aspects of your recovery after an animal bite.
- Try to get names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the dog attack and get any information you can about the dog’s owner and the animal itself including medical history and breed.
- Be sure you report the attack to local authorities such as the police or animal control so they can conduct an investigation and impound the dog if needed.
- If you or a loved one has been bitten by a dog, contact a dog bite injury attorney for a free review of your case.
- Big Rigs are a Safety Risk - February 15, 2019
- Dog Bites – What to do if your child is bit by a dog - February 15, 2019
- 4 Legal Tips for Motorcyclists Hitting the Road in Kentucky - February 15, 2019
- Rising Pedestrians and Bicyclists Hit-And-Run Crash Deaths In Kentucky - November 22, 2018
- Flora and WBKO recognize Today’s Leader! - November 19, 2018
- When a Child is Injured in a School Bus Accident in Kentucky - November 18, 2018
- Flora and Poppy Visit Greenwood High School! - November 5, 2018
- Poppy and Flora Deliver Supplies to Red Cross Elementary in Barren County - October 22, 2018
- Poppy and Pixie Visit Metcalf County Pumpkin Festival - October 10, 2018
- Flora and Poppy Visit Richardsville Elementary School. - September 27, 2018