Call 24/7 No Fee Unless You Win (888) 782-9090
Request Free Evaluation

Motorcycle Accident FAQs

Most Common Motorcycle Accident FAQs

What should I do if I have been injured in a motorcycle accident through no fault of my own?

If you have been involved in a motorcycle wreck, you should immediately file a report with the police and notify your insurance company. If you were injured, seek medical attention right away. Get the name, address, license number, plate number, and insurer from the at-fault driver. Write down details of the motorcycle accident including date, time, location, what happened to cause the accident and other details while they are fresh on your mind. If possible, also get names, addresses, and phone numbers of witnesses and take photos of the scene of the accident (such as damage to vehicles, skid marks, road signs, or anything that might have contributed to the wreck). An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer can help you preserve the evidence you need to win your case. Do not discuss the accident with the other driver’s insurance company before consulting with an attorney. If you have been injured, contact motorcycle accident attorney Flora Templeton Stuart immediately so you can focus on what is most important – recovering from your injuries.

I am injured and can’t travel, will you meet me at my home or another location?

If you have been injured in a motorcycle collision and can’t come to us, we will meet you at your home, in the hospital, or another location that is convenient for you. We have offices in Glasgow and Bowling Green, Kentucky, but we travel throughout Kentucky to meet with our injured clients. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, call personal injury lawyer Flora Templeton Stuart at (888) 782-9090 twenty-four hours a day/seven days a week.

What makes motorcycle wrecks different than other auto accidents?

Motorcycle accidents can be some of the most tragic cases we handle because drivers are not well protected and often suffer catastrophic injuries such as broken bones, disfigurement, brain or spine injuries, and amputations. What could be considered a minor accident to a person involved in a car wreck has the potential to seriously injure or kill a motorcycle rider. In addition to the serious nature of motorcycle collision injuries, the required insurance coverage on motorcycles in Kentucky is different than the required insurance coverage on cars—potentially leaving a motorcycle injury victim struggling to cover his or her medical expenses. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact us for a free case evaluation.

For more information on motorcycle insurance coverage, see the questions relating to PIP and Uninsured/Underinsured coverage. Also, visit our blog or Insurance FAQ to learn what insurance you should carry on your motorcycle to adequately protect yourself.

What are the common causes of motorcycle injuries?

Many factors can contribute to motorcycle injuries, but the most common reason is the other driver simply does not see the motorcycle on the road. We advise all drivers to be vigilant of your surroundings and watch for other vehicles—especially motorcycles. Other factors that can lead to motorcycle wreck injuries include:

I was injured in a motorcycle accident. Will I have PIP to pay my bills and lost wages?

Most motorcycle insurance policies sold in the state of Kentucky do not include Personal Injury Protection (PIP) or “no-fault” coverage unless you specifically request it. PIP is the coverage you carry on your motorcycle that generally pays up to $10,000 on your medical bills and lost wages during your recovery. If you did not add PIP coverage to your motorcycle insurance policy, your medical bills should be paid by your health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, or our law firm can negotiate with your physicians to obtain treatment before you settle your case. Unless you have PIP coverage, you will not receive money for lost wages or short-term disability until your case is settled. We recommend that all motorcycle owners add PIP coverage to their policies for better protection in the event of an accident.

Do I need Uninsured or Underinsured coverage on my motorcycle?

If an uninsured or underinsured driver injures you, there may not be enough money available to pay your medical bills. Motorcycle policies typically do not include Uninsured (UN) or Underinsured (UIM) coverage. Protect yourself by adding both Uninsured and Underinsured coverage to your motorcycle policy. Contact an experienced motorcycle wreck attorney to learn more about UN and UIM insurance coverage.

Do I use my own health insurance?

If you do not have PIP coverage for your motorcycle, then your health insurance may pay medical bills while you are recovering. Contact us if you have questions about which insurance should cover your medical bills.

What compensation can I collect for my motorcycle wreck injury?

If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own, you are entitled to compensation for the medical expenses incurred treating your injury. You may also be able to collect lost wages for missed work or even future lost income if your ability to work has been affected by the injury. Additional damages you may be entitled to include future medical expenses, long-term care and rehabilitation, or the cost of adaptive equipment. If your loved one was the victim of a motorcycle wreck that results in death or severe permanent disability, your family may be entitled to seek compensation for the loss of financial support, pain and suffering, loss of consortium (companionship), punitive damages, or you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim.

How long do I have to file a claim in a motorcycle accident case?

In most motorcycle wreck cases, you only have 1 year to file a claim unless you opted to purchase Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage for your motorcycle. If you have PIP coverage on your motorcycle at the time of the accident, the statute of limitations will generally be extended to 2 years from the last date of PIP coverage payment. Clearly, determining the exact date of the statute expiration can be tricky, so contact an experienced motorcycle accident injury attorney right away to protect your rights.

The insurance company has made an offer for my motorcycle accident injury claim. Should I accept it?

Never accept any payment from the insurance company before consulting with a motorcycle wreck attorney – especially if you or your loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury. If you accept compensation now, you may be giving up your right to file additional claims in the future. Only an experienced motorcycle accident injury lawyer can help you determine the full value of your case in terms of past, present, and future medical bills, past and future lost income, and additional losses for you and your family. Contact us immediately to investigate your motorcycle injury claim to ensure you get all the compensation you are entitled to.

How do I pay for an attorney in a motorcycle crash injury case?

The Law Firm of Flora Templeton Stuart works on a contingency fee basis. That means we only get paid if you get paid in your motorcycle wreck case. Call Warren and Barren County, Kentucky personal injury attorney Flora Templeton Stuart at (888) 782-9090 for a free initial consultation twenty-four hours a day/seven days a week.