[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” background_position=”center center” background_repeat=”no-repeat” fade=”no” background_parallax=”none” enable_mobile=”no” parallax_speed=”0.3″ video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_loop=”yes” video_mute=”yes” overlay_opacity=”0.5″ border_style=”solid” padding_top=”20px” padding_bottom=”20px”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ spacing=”” center_content=”no” hover_type=”none” link=”” min_height=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=”” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_position=”left top” background_repeat=”no-repeat” border_size=”0″ border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” padding=”” dimension_margin=”” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_offset=”” last=”no”][fusion_text]
Friday, April 28, 2017
Identity Theft – Requesting a Free Copy of Medical Records
In today’s identity theft blog, we’ll look at requesting your medical records. This is beneficial particularly if your medical information, such as diagnoses, procedure codes, and health insurance info, has been stolen.
How Will I Know If I Am a Victim of Identity Theft?
- READ YOUR BILLS – search for charges you did not buy that may indicate identity theft.
- WATCH YOUR BANK STATEMENTS – any withdrawals you did not make?
- CHECK YOUR MAIL – getting a new bill you did not know about?
- GET YOUR CREDIT REPORT – are there accounts you don’t recognize?
- HAS YOUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTION REPLACED YOUR CREDIT/DEBIT CARD?
Requesting a Free Copy of Your Medical Records
- Kentucky law entitles you to one FREE COPY of your medical records. This request must be done in writing and sent to the medical provider.
- Review the EOBs (explanation of benefits) you receive from your health insurance carrier. Making sure claims submitted (and paid by your insurance company) are valid claims for the services provided. For example, if you treated for a cold, make sure they billed for a cold.
Credit Reporting Agencies
You can also get your free credit reports and scores through creditkarma.com.
If you are a victim of identity theft:
- You have the right to an attorney before you sign legal papers.
- If you are offered credit checks, they are free on creditkarma.com.
- Dispute errors in your credit report.
We will address this and more issues in our continued identity theft series:
- How long do you have to sue after discovering identity theft?
VISIT WWW.USA.GOV/CREDIT-REPORTS FOR MORE INFORMATION.
*Nothing on this website should be considered legal advice. This does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and this law firm.